Monday, February 9, 2009

spring kitchen

BEFORE
We have only lived in this house for 2 1/2 years. But the eating area of our kitchen has had many changes. Is it because we live and work and eat in this room more than any other? I have no idea, but this room changes looks like we change clothes. Here is the first outfit. The baskets have followed me from house to house. They started off in our first little apartment on Guam, then they got packed up and went across the ocean to SC, here was their final big show before they got carted off to Goodwill.

Then we went for the paper lanterns. I love paper lanterns. I cannot imagine the kitchen without them, but who knows? I used to think that about the baskets.


Christmas got a little over crowded. Even for me - this picture is a little crazy and over the top. But it was cozy and festive. This is from just this last Christmas.

Then came out the hearts for Valentine's Day. They would still be there, probably if not for the change in weather that we have had. It feels like spring. So I got to dusting and rearranging and this is what we came up with:


I know you are shocked that I finally took down the red checked curtains (actually tablecloths from Target). Those tablecloths have been with us for awhile too. I will not send them to Goodwill quite yet....they may look cute in the playroom or the baby's room (the baby who is almost 3)
Can you tell what got changed? Some paper lanterns got switched out, the front curtains are now bed sheets from Target, the plates in the middle, the framed paper on the sides....



These collages are trying to tie in the black and patchwork walls from the other parts of the kitchen.

another crazy angle of the kitchen. See how I need to keep the black, green and patchwork going throughout to tie it all in? Now I am thinking the chest of drawers should be moss green with black drawers with white polka-dots.


so you can see the bigger picture

20 comments:

Chrissie Grace said...

Oh no! You're not gonna paint over the strawberries are you?
I love all your changes. You give me courage to be more daring!
xo
Chrissie

Jessica said...

I love your dining area! I am inspired to redo my "blah" curtains in my dining room. Definately paint the dresser black. You could even leave the drawers as they are... or decoupage them like your kitchen walls! How about some black knobs on your kitchen cabinets?

Paige said...

Love, love, love it! What a cheerful room.

rabryan said...

I now understand why some of the teens refer to your "cool kitchen" as the "gumball room"...While I'm a huge basket fan, I do think the lanterns give a livelier feel and match the rest of the room. I'm curious, if you interviewed your family, what would their favorite part of the kitchen be?

Nikki said...

I love the new green and white polka dot fabric!

Stephanie said...

I love the green curtains, and all the amazing color. However, I think your husband should be careful around you--if he sits still too long, you might paint polka dots on him, y'know?

thedomesticfringe said...

I like the idea of using sheets as curtains. I did that for my daughters room a few years back. The new look is great!

-FringeGirl

gailsgarden said...

I'm having fall-out over the red/white checked curtains. We have followed them all the way from Greer. But I do like the green ones when you showed them close enough to see the poka dots. I also like the black framed pics. And I am thinking of all kinds of furniture I want to paint black and then sand the edges. However today is Monday...and I can't get myself moving. (Mon. is our day off after a very busy weekend!) Looks good!

adrienne said...

Just came your way through Chrissie Grace. Soooo glad I found you. I'll be placing order soon!

Stephanie said...

Love the green curtains, and I noticed the plates immediately... great touch. Definitly paint the dresser black with polka dots and why not put the scrapbook paper on the top of it to coordinate with the back splash. Love seeing what you'll do next.

Art Nest said...

Love the green curtains...It must be such a blessing to look at this cute space every day!
Zana

ko said...

love it all! I love how I stole the paper lantern idea from you too! :) I love all of your colors, and your sheet curtains! :) LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Jenn A said...

Sara, I love the fun you have with your house! And I love the switch ups! Someday I want to hang paper lanterns in my boys room...but it would have to be in a different house because they have a very low ceiling right now.
I have a question for you...when you paint a piece of furniture what do you put over it to seal it? I have some small things I want to paint and I found the right color, but I don't remember what to use to seal it. Help! You can email me at andersonclan@mac.com
Thanks!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Lovely! Gren is my fav color so of course I LOVE your new sheet-curtains! Do you use clip-rings to hang them or what? What a good idea to use tablecloths and sheets- drapery is so expensive! I've been toying with the idea of longer curtains in our living area, you've given me some good ideas now!

elma said...

Oh I just love your house and all the color!! What a fun place. I love the art work on your walls to and the curtains and I love it all:)

PRICELESS MEMORIES said...

I really like the green curtains.

I love black furniture....I think that would look great.

Cute cute.

Tracey said...

The changes look great! I loved it before and I love it this way too....nice to change things up a bit every now and then :)
Tracy

Jenny said...

I'm in love with your house!!!

Heather said...

The paper globes seperate you from the faint-hearted, and that is why I LOVE your blog. I seriously have been SO inspired and my kids don'tknwo what is going on with all the crafts we've been doing. I feel like by finding you I've tapped into the inner artist that is begging to be let out! I'm LOVING The globes and yet wonder then if you have cords strung everywhere and plugged in to one outlet? If so, it's STILL cute but for the more anal (i'm trying) I'm curious if there is a neat solution. You have blessed me and you don't even know me! How cool is THAT about technology!

Heather said...

All I'm finding to use for the lanters are battery operated systems...nor for everyday use. Do share your secret!