Thursday, February 19, 2009

10 minute microwave make-over


Remember this? I had started to patchwork this wall with paper and modpodge...but whenever I looked at the back splash I would get a headache. Something had to be done! I decided that I needed some new, calmer paper in bigger patches...

A trip to Archiver's, some quick cutting out of squares and rectangles and here we are! Finally happy with the patches (I had just taped them up to make sure I liked the arrangement). I dreaded getting out the mod-podge. Don't get me wrong- I love mod podge, but it is a bit tricky to use just enough but not too much so there are no bubbles.

Then I had the epiphany! Contact paper!!!! YES! What could go wrong with cheap, sticky plastic?!?!?!!
And you know what- it worked! I absolutely LOVE how it turned out. It is pretty and colorful and protected and washable!! The best part is that it took not even a third of the roll of $5.99 contact paper- and maybe 45 minutes.

But look at this picture- something is not quite right...the microwave- it is too bare....soooooo

Here is the 10 minute project part that I think made a big difference....
Click on that button and you can see the others who are sharing their 10 minute makeover ideas at the Nesting Place (the Nester always has something fun going on)


I decided to cover the sides of the microwave with the patches- it was SO easy and SO fast and it is so cute [in my very humble opinion] that I had to share it with you!!!!! All I did was cut a piece of contact paper and laid it on the counter (sticky side up of course :) then I laid down scraps of paper- added a few rings of masking tape so the middle would not bubble out.....

.....then slapped it onto the microwave!

Probably about 75% of my readers may feel that sticking cheap plastic all over your kitchen is tacky....but I will admit- I absolutely LOVE it!!!!!




I will say that if you try this at home- you can slightly see the seams, etc- and that is why it worked with all of the colorful patches- you don't even notice the few seams and edges. (and don't forget to rub it all down after with a spatula or other hard plastic tool so that the contact paper sticks evenly everywhere.

Here are a few other 10 minute makeover ideas:

*Get a plate from Target and put it on the wall


*Get some black frames and fill with scraps of paper


*Paint a tray, tape on some pictures, nail a hole in the top and hang on the wall (add a few button magnets if you want)


*Nail a line on the wall, clothespin some pieces of fabric to it for a quick window treatment




*Did I mention getting a $2 plate from Target and hanging it on the wall?

So what do you think? Do you like the patchy back splash- or too tacky for you?

46 comments:

Jane said...

I love it! 'Specially the microwave! Of course, I am the girl who wallpapered my fridge!

fridge

Heather Kvale said...

I am a secret patchwork enthusiast. I'd wear patchwork every day and live in a patchwork house if I could. So I find your backsplash inspiring and VERY wimsical and LOVE that you use contact paper. I am dreaming in patchwork these days...thanks to you. :-) I may get gutsy (and for me, sadly, it IS gutsy), and just DO it!

gailsgarden said...

Cute! Cute butter dish on top of the microwave!

I remember when we first moved to Canada. I asked at the K Mart for contact paper. They said, "What kind of paper?"

Tricia Anne said...

I am loving all of your ideas!!! I would never have thought up using sticky paper. :o)
Your home is so fun!!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Tammy said...

Brilliant, I love it!

That's it, I have to go patchwork something!!

southerninspiration said...

it's delightful because it's just so YOU!!! How resourceful you are, and oh, so cute!

Suzanne

Bugs and Sunshine said...

i love having that great sense of accomplishment!!! and i love your targe' plate! they have some super cute ones right now!

coco said...

I don't think the backsplash is tacky...it was a great solution to spiffing up your kitchen! Love all your ideas.

Cindy said...

Your ideas are fabulous!! Gotta love that contact paper. I've used it in some creative ways too.
Your house makes me so happy and always inspires me!
Have a great day!
Cindy

Kate said...

So cute! I think it looks great and is just a reflection of you. And the contact paper- genius!

Rachel said...

I like the window treatment! Great idea.

Rachel and Jacob said...

wow look at all that eye candy!!

jenjen said...

Wow - your backsplash is soooo cool! I love the papers - it brings so much personality to your kitchen. And contact paper - genius!

You are very creative!

Jen

june@craftyniche said...

Your craft projects are awesome! So bright and cheery!

musicteach said...

Ah, for your readers who don't speak 'Canadian', we call contact paper "Mactac". Something like calling all tissues 'Kleenex', I think, eh?

Love the patchwork.Inspired me to do something to the child's table that was mine and then used to teach my own girls kindergarten. 50+ years and I think it has earned some new fun covering.

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your colorful house!

Denise said...

Now that makes a statement! It screams artsy and I love it. Why be predictable? I can't wait to see what else you have on your blog!

Denise said...

Love, love, love your blog. I will be a frequent visitor. It was so much fun!

Victorious1 said...

I think it's all great - but, especially that you do what YOU love. After all, you are the one who lives with you! How profound - hey?

Great blog post!

K said...

I adore it!!! Your backsplash and kitchen make me happy!!!

Jen r. said...

what a cool thing to do! You gotta love contact paper!

The Nester said...

oh my paperie graciousness!

I LOVE IT!

Jessie said...

I love it !!!!!

Younge 7 said...

Too cute!!! The papers turned out to be winners...great job:)

thedomesticfringe said...

I'm impressed. The backspash looks wonderful and you've gotta have the best looking microwave around...no doubt about it.

-FringeGirl

mitchells2000 said...

Sara - you are amazing! What a great idea. I love the back-splash... in YOUR house! I love looking at your pictures, but I think my eyes would have some serious sensory overload if I LIVED at YOUR house! At my house, we prefer the much more boring, calm colors, and a more simplistic approach to decorating. Not to say that either one is bad, just different. I think my husband would have a HEART ATTACK if I tried to patchwork ANYTHING in our house!!! Just goes to show you that you have a wonderfully understanding husband in that he lets you do all that stuff to the house! Thanks for sharing!

Jodi said...

what a great punch of color - got to love contact paper! great job!

Heather Kvale said...

Tell me some of the method of your madness in doing your backsplash. I can see there is a rythm to it..just trying to spread out the colors? In goin to shop for paper...did you try and stay in a matchy color tone? I need an UMPH of GUTS. lay it on girl!

koehmstedt said...

How clever is that! I love the paper patchwork, very lively.

Miss(es) Canadian Pie said...

Oh this is too fun! I never would have thought of decorating my microwave. I don't have one but I wish I did now. I took a peek at the photos of your home on your sidebar and wow, what an amazing home you have! I'd be happy all the time if I lived there. So great!!

Stephanie said...

Love it! You can't even tell you used contact paper on the black splash. Looks great!

Lisa said...

It looks good in your home! Fun ideas!

Tracey said...

I love it!!

ccarlson said...

How I love your blog, Sara! God has truly gifted you in a wonderful way! I must get one of your paintings some day - after I finish my dining room redecorating project! Love you much, Aunt Connie

Keri said...

Love it - now your kitchen is much more "you". I also really like the last picture black and whites.

Jen said...

It might be a tiny bit busy to look at every day, but I love the idea of doing a patchwork backsplash. It's super cute. Great job!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Your back splash shows your personality! I bet your are super fun to hang out with. Your decorating style should be all about you, and you did a fabulous job! How fun to be in that kitchen.
~Misti

Tausha said...

I have been a lurker for a bit now. I love your blog! I love how brave you are with your color choices and patterns and I love that you take risks with YOUR home! I love it all!
Your wonderful art has inspired me to do some fun things with my craft room. The walls are already lime green-they were that color when we moved in. It even has lime green carpet. I love this room to create in-just don'e love it-you know.
I was wondering if I send you some pics, if you could help me out with some of your fantastic ideas!

I also have a quote for you. I am a lover of all words-espescially when they inspire.
"God doesn't always calm the storm, sometimes he lets the storm rage and calms His child."
These words bring such sweet comfort to me. Maybe they will for other as well!
Have a fantstic day!!! I look forward to talking with you soon!

Heather said...

OK Sarah...I'm breaking out into unchartered territory here. Really love the shade of green you used in your DR area. I'm notorious for picking out ICKY shades from paint chips so wanted to hit you up for the color you used, if possible, to spare the pain. ;-)

Kim said...

You have some great ideas on how to use fabric - so creative!!

Trudi said...

I love all of your style, it hip and cheerful and happy. Love it!!!

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

How fun! It all looks great and I can't believe how fast it was. I might end up with the contact paper stuck in my hair or something!
-Kim

Heather Kvale said...

Sarah, I bought PAPER! I'm committed! Wanting to do the bottom half of a hallway wall. So to decoupage that...positioning the paper to get it "right"...you do need a layer of MP under the paper though...any ideas on how to do the designing of it and yet get the glue under the paper without undoing all the design? I'm stalling due to that question. Let me pick your BRAIN! mauah muahh ahhh....

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I NEEEEEED your HEEEEELLLPPP!!! You MUST respond or I'll used you as an excuse for lack of courage or know-how. (nice manipulation ey?) So back to the modge podge question above....nag nag nag...

Happyhome said...

Very cute and clever ideas!

Gina Lee Kim said...

Wow Sara...this is an EXCELLENT post. You're amazing and a genius with color. I love how you use strategic use of black to anchor it all together.