Saturday, January 17, 2009

Surprise Inside Cupcakes

This is another recipe from my mom. Just biting into one of these brings back warm and fuzzy memories. My recipe drawer is full of recipes from my mom. There are 2 kinds- the ones that she wrote out on little 3x5 cards just for me - thanks Mom! And then there are the ones like this one that is written on a ripped piece of paper in my very hastily scrawled printing (I never write in cursive). This was one where I called my mom in desperation and she read off the recipe to me over the phone. Now that we are both e-mail lovers, I get recipes that way.

These are so yummy and magical- how does that little perfect circle of cream cheese filling get in there?

Surprise Inside Cupcakes

Prepare one package of chocolate cake mix
Fill 30 muffin cups 2/3 full (I think I only filled 24 cupcakes cups)
Drop a teaspoon of filling onto each cup of batter

Filling
Beat together: 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1/3 c. sugar
dash salt
1 egg

Bake at 350 for 15-25 min (I think mine were in there for closer to 15 min. )

Frosting:
Beat 3/4 c. powdered sugar w/ 2 egg whites (see it is healthy :) til stiff. Cream another 3/4 c. powdered sugar w/ 2T butter. Fold in mixture.

MmMmMmMmMmMmMmMm

15 comments:

Pam said...

Remember Tim Cushman? His grandmother shared her recipe for these with me back when we were all in college. (She was a sweet lady who would cook up a storm whenever she would visit, so these have a special memory for me too!) Her recipe called for using Devil's Food Cake mix, but the rest is the same.

mikki roo said...

Mm those do look delish!! And easy, to boot!

Rachel and Jacob said...

yum yum yum I (heart) cupcakes.

thedomesticfringe said...

These look oh so yummy!

Jennifer Anderson said...

Just last week I made a recipe very similar to this except the cream cheese filling part has mini chocolate chips in it. I loved them! Baking is so cozy and fun in cold weather!

david mcmahon said...

G'day from an Aussie whose kids are the ultimate cupcake fans. I'll try this one!

heather said...

and i'm trying to be so good! now i need to go try these. i'll be thinking about them all weekend...thanks a lot! ;)

knackstudio said...

miss sara ....how do you stay so thin!! You post about and make so many yummy, naughty things!!:) xo

ko said...

MmMmMmMm is RIGHT! I AM SO MAKING THOSE

PRICELESS MEMORIES said...

mmmmmmm! Those look so good! I just made some chocolate cupcakes this week but not with the cream cheese. I will have to try these. I love me some cream cheese!

Keri said...

Yum-yum! I love when you share your recipes. This will be a great one to try.

Paige said...

I love making these, but have never seen this recipe. I always but mini candy bars in mine. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try them soon.

Blessings,
Paige

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Oh man oh man, why do you do this to me?! I'm thinking that for my own sake (and waistline) you should have a private blog that you DON'T invite me to in order to post just your oh so easy and good recipes:) The problem with easy and simple recipes is that I will hop up from the computer and go make it.

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Forgot to tell you that I have a new RAndy Alcorn book on the sanctity of life. Let you borrow it when I'm done- it's all about taking care of women in crisis pregnancies I think. Haven't started it yet.

John, Danita and Infinity said...

I have been looking for this recepie for a long time!! Thanks for posting it!