Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pumpkins & Leaves

The kids helped to mix the dough and roll it out. By the time we were done with that part the entire kitchen was covered with flour......so I decided to just decorate them myself.

Reminds me of the sweet pumpkin cookies my mom made for a class party one year. I started to walk to school carrying the tin of cookies and tripped and dropped the tin and broke every single one.......my poor MOM! All that work she went through.


each pumpkin with his and her own personality :)



Who can create something more beautiful than a leaf? We try, but there is no artist like the Master Creator.


Leaves and crayon shavings ironed between wax paper





Clay pumpkins: 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt, half a cup of water (give or take, add more flour if too sticky) with red & yellow food coloring to make orange. Add some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to make it smell nice.
The stems are cork screw noodles (put them in a ziplock bag with a few drops of green food color and a teaspoon of water and squish around to make them green). Idea from Family Fun. I am hoping these will dry nicely and harden so the kids can keep them.

8 comments:

Jes said...

your cookies are so cute!

we'll be trying the clay pumpkins today...thanks!...oooh, and maybe the wax paper leaves, too! we did that on valentines day, and cut hearts out of 2 pieces of construction paper and then put the colored wax paper in between. maybe we'll make a leaf shape instead!

Keri said...

As creative as you are, I am NOT. Can I send Caleb to your house for art class once a week?? :)

gailsgarden said...

Oh! Don't do ALL the fall crafts before I come!!!

PRICELESS MEMORIES said...

When my mom was here in sept. we made roll out pumpkin cookies too. They were for Campbell's birthday treat. What a cute story and pitiful that you fell. :(
Cute craft ideas. I bet my kids would eat the yummy smelling pumpkins.

Tracey said...

Cute little pumpkins and yummy looking cookies!!

mrs.pabody said...

THANK YOU for sharing your labor of pumpkin love! They were so delicious! Can I have your sugar cookie recipe??? They were so soft and yummy. I love their personality! Love you much!

gailsgarden said...

Thankx for the idea. I have children's church on Sun. This will be perfect! They'll love it!

rougeflutterby said...

I thought this was a great idea!!! I tried them myself - exactly by your recipe and when they dried, well, they are almost white. What do your look like now?

P.S. I love your new bathroom!