Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trish's Chili Recipe (adapted for my picky family :)

We haven't had this in awhile and since it is officially Fall, it is a good time to eat chili! My family was happy to see it again. My 5 year old told me it is his favorite soup. The 7 year old said he liked it OK, but his favorite soup had noodles in it and chicken.....

2lbs ground beef (Most of the time I just do 1lb. b/c that is what we have on hand), browned
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans tomato paste (I think I use 1 can)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
onion powder (just sprinkle on as much as you like)
2 cans pork n' beans
2 T mustard
2 T ketchup
2 T BBQ sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
chili powder to taste
water as needed to make it the consistency you like.

**Oh no, I have been forgetting to put in the cumin! I think it calls for 1 tsp? of cumin.

The brown sugar and BBQ sauce make this especially nice (and bad for you, I am sure :) But hey, it is fall and we need to pack it on to keep warm, right?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Sorry, Trish for taking out all of the healthy chunks of veggies (tomato, onion, garlic)

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

my kids won't eat it either!

Trish said...

Neither will mine!!! I make them eat around it, and maybe they get a chunk or two. Mark really doesn't like the onions either....I was totally just thinking that we needed to have this too, as I was sitting in the bus in traffic b/c of all our friends over at the UN!! Just love NY when all these important people come to visit...

Stephanie said...

I've been looking for a good chili recipe, I'll have to try this one, it sounds delicious!

christina said...

oh perfect!!! i like vegetarian chili, but whenever i make it, it never quite tastes right. hahaa i 'll put all the healthy bits in when i make it. I think it'll be lunch for the next week

Keri said...

This recipe sounds tasty; I am deinitely going to have to try it.