Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Too Much Info?

We were out on a field trip today and our 2 year old fell down and scraped her knee. She starts half crying, but holding her breath (like she can't get the cry out). Then she faints for a second and comes to...and not sure if she maybe fainted twice. Lydia who was there with us said she thought the 2 yr old's lips were turning blue. Thankfully she is OK. She has done this once before; she fell off a stool, started to try and cry and then fainted. Scary.

I Googled "children fainting" and got all sorts of info.....here is some I had to share: (syncope pronounced: sĭng’-kə-pē, is the medical term for fainting):

Less commonly, syncope may reflexively occur during brushing of one’s hair (“hair-groomer’s syncope”), vigorous arching of the back and extending the neck while stretching (“stretch syncope”), urination (“micturition syncope”), and even chewing food (“deglutition syncope”).

Interesting...see what you can learn on the Internet.

All of that to say; has anyone had a child who did this? Dave thinks it is because I rush to her and act alarmed when this happens (and yes, I yell, "BREATHE, BREATHE!).

9 comments:

Jes said...

wow! that is scary!
well, maddy has never fainted, but when she's really hurt, she'll be crying and not be able to inhale. she then turns blue. i then FREAK OUT. but since she was little, i've always just been able to blow in her face and she will eventually breathe in. scary stuff, i know.

hope your evening is peaceful! :)

heather said...

yep, i've been there! emma did that 3or 4 (terrifying!)times around the same age. she would cry so hard she couldn't breathe, lips turn blue and go limp in my arms. FREAKED ME OUT! the dr. said this is pretty normal. i said, WHAT? i've never known a child who has done that!" same info on the internet. for about a year i was by her side saying, "it's okay, breathe, emma, breathe!!!!" she grew out of it. in the mean time, just try to stay calm (it's hard, i know!) wow! the things we moms go through! :)

rabryan said...

One of my college professors had been a medical missionary, and after he heard us discussing babysitting and nanny issues one Monday morning, he informed us that a child passing out (and their lips turning blue) from holding their breath during a tantrum, crying too hard, or screaming too much, was simply the body's way of getting the required oxygen. In a situation such as this the brain is overriding the emotional response to meet the body's needs. Now, if she passes out and you don't observe her breathing return to normal or she doesn't come to within a few minutes, then you can panic. Your child will also take their reactions from you. If you panic, they will.

gailsgarden said...

I am so glad for the good advice you have been given.

Paula said...

Hi! I'm an occassional lurker on your fun blog. 1 out of my 4 kids had these fainting episodes. Usually it would be when he got hurt or really mad. He would go into the 'silent cry' mode and we would instantly tell him to breathe. One time he fainted in the tub (he was so mad because he didn't want to take a bath) Once they faint, their natural reflexes take over and they start breathing on their own. Once I realized the process it wasn't as frightening. He is 6 now and out grew it a few years ago.
Good luck! Paula

PRICELESS MEMORIES said...

That is sooo scary and I'm glad she is ok. My sister's daughter use to do the same thing...I think she commented. Campbell passed out 1 time and it was scary. All my nursing went out the window and I was just so scared.

Victorious1 said...

I have NEVER heard of such a thing...

Wow, what I learn about kids and life on blogs! Go figure.

~Vicki

christina said...

hmm... it can be isolated idiopathic incidents, or there maybe structural anomalies....

if it happens again, maybe consider taking Skye to get evaluated by your pediatrician?

Sarah said...

I babysit a little boy who does this...he has never fainted on me, but he turns blue and doesn't breathe for a few seconds. Being the heartless person that I am, I tend to ignore him now and I have noticed that he "recovers" more quickly. :-) And he also does it more often when he is over-tired.....
But I don't think his sounds as serious as hers!