Friday, September 19, 2008

A Little Ranting and Raving at Myself.....

Do you ever stop and realize that you have totally lost focus on what is important? This happens to me all the time. I start the day out right- focused on God and trying to give and serve other people, and then I lose focus and go back to my selfish ways. This also happens in the big picture.

I have lost focus in so many areas. Here are a few reminders for myself.....

1. We are here to serve God. He made us! He loves us! He has a better plan for us than we do. Start each day off asking Him for wisdom and guidance in each area and in each decision.

2. One of the benefits to homeschooling is so that we have the opportunity to disciple our children- take the time to teach them how to be a kind and thoughtful human beings, and how to Love as Jesus loves......this cannot happen when Mom is running around constantly trying to keep the house in order! :) FOCUS, Sara! Leave those many details until later in the day, and give the kids your attention and focus. LISTEN to the kids! When they ask a question- stop what you are doing and talk to them, explain what they want to know and give them your attention. If it is needed, stray away from the lesson plans so that you can work on areas that the kids are struggling in.

When the kids are misbehaving, take the TIME to train then and talk to them- explain why what they did was wrong- explain what the BIBLE says about the misbehaviour. Talk about what Jesus would do in that situation- don't just send them to their room and silently fume because they have bothered you and interrupted your 'alone' time.

3. Focus on helping others- make a list of people who need help, or a visit, or a meal. Plan these things out, or you will not get to it...

4. Focus artistically. What is the most important use of my time? Starting yet another project in the house? Or working on the two books that you have started and not finished?

Life is too short to run around like a chicken!!!!!!! My goal for this weekend is to re-write my goals, discuss this list with Dave and establish ways to work towards these goals.

Even though we have heard it a million times- when you shoot at nothing, you will hit is every time!!!!!

Any tips on how you keep your goals in mind, or your priorities straight?

11 comments:

Krista said...

I think ALL moms have this problem at some time or another! Though I don't homeschool, we have a 13yr. old, an 8yr. old and a 9 month old so even while the girls are at school, I'm taking care of baby and trying to do a million other things! What I have started doing is setting aside about 45 minutes EACH day while everyone is home that is all mine. When you're whizzing around everyday it is still important to have your own "private" time.

It's usually after dinner, family is happy reading or watching some TV and since Daddy is available, unless we need to run to the ER, don't bother Mommy! :)
It just seems to make it easier to go about my day when I know that at some point I will be able to do exactly what I need, with my own undivided attention. Every single Mom needs that as we have the most awesome/rewarding job in the world but also the most stressful and tiring jobs in the world.

We too are important...in God's eyes and on a good day, in our own.

I hope this helps:)
Krista

joyfullness said...

Hey Sara!!!
You are doing a great job!!
You are doing His work...and it is the most valuable investment..the nurturing of your little ones..and of your family as a whole...AND as you care for them...and return to the Father in prayer..He will restore you!! Restoring order and functionality to our homes is often "all it takes" to have a make it day instead of a break it day...but where do you find that???
I believe that in our obedience as Moms..we are being restored through our labor...and through the fruits of our labor..so whether your fruit is...quality time with hubs..or the sweet moments when something clicks with your children...good or not good..or when you have been so very productive at your creative work...think of it as a huge fruits of your labor basket...and feast upon it knowing it was all picked by your Loving father...all for you...to nourish you..and satisfy...know that you are HIS love too...and that He is pleased by your sowing!!!
oh..and another thing...have you ever seen those huge chicken trucks..with all of the chickies "going on a looong vacation"...??... wouldn't you rather be a free range chicken..all running around..than one of those!!!!
Praying for the rest of your day!!
Fruit salad for everyone!!
Joyfullness

Candace said...

Such a great post Sara! I struggle with keeping my goals in front of me as well - I get distracted so easily. Oooh look... pretty... shiny... that's all it takes and I've moved away from what I'm supposed to be doing, to what I want to be doing.

One thing I did that has helped is I made my goals into an image, then set it as my desktop wallpaper. Now whenever I open my laptop (which is a couple million times a day!)I am face-to-face with my goals. This allows me to do a quick self-evaluation to see how I am doing with my goals.

That, and I try to pray without ceasing. I'm getting better at that one since some days that is all I can do!!

I just love your soft heart Sara. You are an amazing mom and talented in so many ways. God has blessed you and your family, and you and Dave set such a wonderful living example of Christ to your kids.

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

It amazes me how much alike we are! I REALLY need to work on all the things you mentioned. Making a goal list and evaluating it WEEKLY is a good idea- I just need someone besides myself to hold me accountable to it:)

Laura D said...

Thanks Sara for the reminder. It is SO hard to keep your focus in the right place. (Even without children!) It was wonderful to read your readers comments as well. Great encouragement to start the weekend!

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

nice post and yes focus is the key word..i totally agree !

Jes said...

ah, sara...
did you write this just for me???
wow. thanks for this post. so many great reminders and ideas...i need to re-write a list of goals/priorities, too...and focus on it. not just write it down in my journal and then tuck it away in my nightstand drawer like i usually do.
as far as what i do to keep focused during the day...my day always gets off to a calm, loving and patient start if i get up before the kiddos and have my quiet time with Him...and a nice cuppa tea, of course. :) remembering the ACTUAL important things...like teaching and listening and guiding my children, and not 'i MUST get that load of laundry done so we can have clean clothes to wear'...eh....a few more hours in jammies never hurt anyone!! this is something that i'm really working on lately.
well enough from me!
praying many blessings will come your way today :)
jes

Jenny said...

Oh Miss Sara~
We are kindred spirits. Focus has been so heavy on my heart lately. We have to be praying mamas. When are heart is longing for that focus God will being it back to center.

THe first step is admitting we have a problem, right? (haha!)

Praying God'e focus for our lives~
Jenny

jen said...

What a challenge to read both the post and the comments! I am thankful the Lord allowed me to read these this evening and I plan to "think on these things".

Thanks for your openness and obviously hitting a chord that resonates in many Mom's hearts!
God bless!

ByHISgoodGRACE said...

Amen, amen, amen.

I can relate to each one of your points. One things I heard was that to start off at being a homeschooling parent, you need to be a good listener--I have so far to go with that. The list thing is great for showing your children compassion for others.
I can't even tell you how much I have related to this. Wow.
I am praying for you girl.

First tip I would offer is what I do--repent, repent, repent and then ask God to help you seek Him first in everything. Sometimes, even if we focus on doing all the right things, we focus on doing all the right things, know what I mean?
And, then, don't beat yourself up--being made to realize we don't have it all togehter is quite humbling--another thing I go through often! lol. It's good for us anyway.
Praying.

Jennifer Anderson said...

I am so with you! I have had the same refocusing need many times over! Oh, to treasure all the things that have eternal value! and to see as temporary all those things that will not last and aren't truly important! This has often been my prayer.
Matt. 6:19-21 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.