Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Artist Interview: Rachel Davis- Cake Decorator

I have a sweet treat for you today :) My friend, Rachel creates these beautiful cakes! And let me tell you that the cakes that I have tasted of hers have ruined it for all other cakes- they are heavenly. I dream about her cake :) We used to go to church together until I moved, and I haven't seen her or her sweet family for too long now. Although I do plan on my son marrying her daughter one day (Rach- do you have the cake design done for that one yet?!)

Here she is with Goofy and Goofy- Just teasing Charlie! Here they are at Disney, having a good time with the family.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sara- How did you get started decorating cakes?

Rachel- When I was in high school I had a job at the Great American Cookie Company. There I had to learn to write and do basic decorating on cookie cakes. Once I had children of my own, I decided to get practice and get better, because it would be cheaper to make their cakes than buy them. Also, when the cake turns out right, you are happy when you hear your child say "I love it mommy, it is perfect" = )


S- How do you get your ideas?

R- I get ideas from everywhere; books, websites, cake magazines, other people,...

S- Did you bake and cook as a child?

R- My mom loved to bake and cook. She was an excellent cook too! She passed her love of baking on to me. I have many memories of being with my mom in the kitchen. She also decorated cakes for us and for friends and family.


S- The wedding cake- was it fun to do, or stressful?

R-The wedding cake was my first. It was fun, exciting, challenging, and stressful all rolled into one. I was very pleased with the final result. The best part was that the bride said it was better than she imagined and it was the best cake she has ever tasted. That made it all worth it!


S- What is your favorite of all of the cakes you have made?

R- The pink and brown round 2 tier with circles is my favorite. It was very fun to put together. It was also very time consuming, but turned out to be really stunning in person. It was the first cake I made for someone that was not my immediate friends or family.


S- What are your favorite colors to work with?

R- I don't know that I have a favorite color, but I can say I love to mix colors to create different hues.

S- When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

R- A chiropractor. I do not really know why, but that was what I always would say when I was little. I did not like school. I decided the least amount of years I had to go the better, so I changed my mind about being a chiropractor.


S- Do you sneak tastes of the cake or icing when you are working on a cake? :)

R- No, not very often. If I sneak anything it would be the fondant. I make my own, and when it is fresh out of the mixer it tastes awesome! But, you would be surprised. You do get tired of cake and frosting! Or at least I do.



S- What is the hardest part of decorating a cake?

R- I would have to say judging how much time it will take me to do certain jobs. Fondant work can take many hours. Sometimes things do not go according to plan. Heat and humidity play a big part in how smoothly things go too.


S- Any other interesting little tidbits that you want to share?

R- I think if someone is interested in cake decorating, they should try it. The old saying "practice makes perfect" is really true. The more you do it the better your cakes start to look.


She made these out of royal icing!!!! Beautiful. Thanks so much, Rachel, for letting us see your gorgeous cakes. Do you want to share your recipes? :) You are an inspiring artist, and I know these cakes make your friends, family, and customers very happy.

8 comments:

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Hi Sara
First time on your blog. Loved the cakes of your friend Rachel. She is really very creative. Greetings to you and your friend from Botswana !

heather said...

awesome cakes! something i feel like i could never do!
just wanted to thank you for your tips and stuff! i ended up looking on the art projects for kids site again and read about her watercolor suggestions. she said liquid works best. never heard of it...i looked in one of my art catalogs and found it, so that's what i'm gonna order. have a happy day and keep bloggin'!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Oh, she is AWESOME!!! I've always wanted to work with fondant but am terrified! I am so taking a cake decorating class soon. I've been wanting to for years...wanna join me?

Tracey said...

AWESOME cakes!!

Jennifer said...

Wow! Those cakes are impressive!!!!

Chrissie said...

Absolutely amazing cakes. Wow!
Love your blog. I'll be back.
Love,
Chrissie from flipflopsandapplesauce

Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

But can she make an R2-D2 cake? Now that's a sign of excellence and artistry at its highest form! I await a response to my challenge of her cake-making abilities...

Brenda (Devore) Yeager said...

Wow!! Those cakes are beautiful. I can't imagine the time that goes into that! How creative and talented!!