Friday, September 5, 2008

About 10 Years Ago....

with my wonderful helper, Jodi

More old pics....teaching kindergarten on the Island of Guam. When I was looking through these the other day, all I could think was WHOA- I need to get in gear and put that kind of effort into teaching my poor homeschooled kids!


I loved these snakes. Just take a large piece of construction paper and cut around and around until you get to the middle and unravel and you have a sneaky, squiggly snake. Then hang from the ceiling.

The Streamer tree. I was visiting a preschool classroom while I was in college and saw this. The teacher had filled a whole corner part of the ceiling with these green streamers hanging down. I made a smaller tree and could add colored streamers in there for fall (we had to try and enjoy fall in HOT Guam :) (Just attach streamers to the ceiling with sticky tack....do they still have sticky tack? I really hate that stuff, but it works for projects such as this).

You gotta love kindergarten! Rainbows! The alphabet! Sweet 5 year olds who love school!


Did you know of my secret crush on Eric Carle, the author of the Very Hungry Caterpillar? Nothing to worry Dave about....I just admire his creativity and the way he can totally delight small children with his books (that teach so many things in one story....days of the week, fruit, numbers, life cycle of the butterfly...). This caterpillar was a class project. Each child got to paint a paper plate with greens and yellows. Together, a class caterpillar.

13 comments:

gailsgarden said...

Remember, Sara, you were just a teacher back then, not a wife, mom, artist (apart from school stuff), blogger! We didn't even know about blogs then! You do a great job! Dad and I were talking about that as we ate lunch. We are thankful for you and your family! What a blessing to know what God has done in your life!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

I LOVE the caterpillar! You were (and are) a great teacher- I know it!

Chrissie Grace said...

I was an elementary art school teacher before I became a SAHM. I wish I had taken pictures of my classroom...What sweet memories!
I love Eric Carle too!
Chrissie

Jes said...

yes, speaking of poor homeschooled kids...i think our classroom (aka diningroom) needs an Eric Carle snake and a streamer tree. :) thanks for the ideas!

Stephanie said...

I love the creative idea of having the kids paint paper plates to form the caterpillar. How unique!

Sandy Toes said...

What fun to look back at 10 years ago. I taught 2nd grade ten years ago and it seems like another life. How fun with the very hungry caterpillar. My kids love that book!

What a fun blog...I am going to take a peek at your etsy shop!
-Sandy Toes

Rachel said...

wooooh. old school harvest pics. my goodness!!

:)

LMLogan said...

I REMEMBER THAT TREE!!! :) your class was always so fun to pass by to look at all the cool fun things you did! :) I have pictures from our summer working together!! wonder where those are!! :)

ByHISgoodGRACE said...

How fun to look back and be reminded of what you've experienced!

We just got back from a short vacation and I just got the print today when we returned. It is awesome. I love it! I can't wait to frame it and place it somewhere I'll see it often. I am a true believer that in the mundane moments of my life, it is where I learn to be a servant...so your print is just perfect.
I highly recommend your artwork to anyone!
Katrina

Pam said...

Yeah, my students and I would walk by your classroom, looking into your window with awe. They probably wished they were in your class, not mine, LOL! Hey, I even wished I was in your class! I remember you had put a lot of time into all of this wonder, and it showed!

Debra said...

Sara....I came across your blog on CWO and love your artwork. I always thought I would love teaching but chose the marketing field instead and am currently working in the Sr Living industry. It is always fun to see the artwork our residents make. Have you ever thought about working with Seniors and sharing your art talents with them? Never let go of your passion.

I am new to the blog world. When you have time please visit my blog.

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

Wow! I love the tree idea-- and we could make paper decorations for Christmas, too. My dining room (school) also needs one of those. Thanks for the idea!!

heather said...

sara, thanks for the links for art ideas. i finally got to really spend time looking over them this weekend and I have tons of ideas to take my classroom! i am an art novice and i was wanting to get your advice on something. a lot of the cool projects on artprojectsforkids.com use water colors (and crayon resist). is she just using the watercolors from a plain old little rectangle box?! i just haven't had that kind of results with those types of paints, but then again i really haven't had much experience either. i was just wanting to get the right products, ya know? thanks for your help and inspiration! your classroom was super cute! heather