Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Birthday Party

We had a party on Saturday for our now big 7 year old! It has been 7 years of Birthday parties and this was the best! I let him go to the Dollar store and pick out the plates, napkins, table cloth, & party favors. I let him pick out the confetti cake and blue icing. I let him make the cake and slap the icing on. I let him shower the top with sprinkles and jimmies. I let him ring the top of the cake with multi-colored licorice, and jab those candles in wherever he felt like.

Did I wish for a perfectly themed party and immaculate cake? A little. But the party was stress-free! Yay for the dollar store! Yah for kids who actually like blue icing!

I'll never forget the first b-day party for this, our first boy. There were decorations everywhere. I spend days on the menu- I still remember those little lady bug cupcakes (bug theme....red and blue color scheme with lime green accents :) A little crazy and over the top- but that is the right of a parent- we get to decide what kind of party it will be! We are in charge!!!! And the kids have fun no matter what......

9 comments:

ko said...

precious! LOVE IT! :) Our kiddos are about the saemage..my becca b just turned 7 aug 16th! :) You did a great job! :)
I hope your weekend was swell, and your Labor day is full of fun! :)
Kyley

hazel said...

That used to be me Sara! I'm so much happier and my kids enjoy themselves more, now that mommy doesn't stress out over the PERFECT party. Looks like a fun and happy day!

Rachel said...

i like the look of the cake :) tell him " gooood job"

gailsgarden said...

WOW! He is a good cake decorator! Good idea! I bet he was happy.

Lisa said...

Everything looks great! We also did that with our first child--two big birthday parties for his first birthday and then a birthday bash for his 10th. I'm glad most of our parties are low-key and easy.

Wendy said...

Sara- I know what you mean about getting to a place where letting them have fun is truly what matters most. :) It is less stress on me and more fun for them anyways. VERY cute and even more meaningful cake--I love it!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Love the idea of having him decorate the cake! Very cute stuff!

Jen said...

How great to let him make the choices and even decorate. It can be hard to relax those details. I can just imagine a kid over the top with excitement. Great ideas!

Larissa Holland said...

hi, thanks for your comment on my blog, and I'd love to see your tree if you make one. This idea to let your son pick everything and be his own party planner is so awesome. I'm an occasion control-freak, I want everything to be just so, so this would be a good exercise for me. Also I love your scripture plaques. Having God's word hanging in your house is a wonderful idea. I recite 'be anxious for nothing...' to myself quite a lot.