Friday, May 9, 2008

Whether we like it or not, we have to do more than just art....

We have been studying the planets this month, and what do I find out, but that PLUTO is no longer a planet?!?!?! (thanks a lot Lydia :) Has anyone else heard this little rumor? I am probably the last to know. That info really ruins the My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas trick. I guess it will have to be My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us Nachos.

I am excited to say that we are officially ready for the 2008-09 school year. I will have a second grader, a kindergartner, and a preschooler. I went with some friends to a second hand homeschool book store and found a bunch of fun stuff. Some of my favorite finds were the Geography song CDs. They have songs to teach each part of the world, continents, states, capitols, facts about several countries. These songs get stuck in your head- the other day I was singing about the British Isles all day long.

8 comments:

Pam said...

I have always loved to learn about space, and I was quite alarmed when the debate about Pluto was raging. HERESY!!!

Sarah said...

I didn't know about Pluto either. I just googled it and apparently, it is now a "dwarf planet". Whatever that means. I'm too tired (and not really smart enough to understand)to read the entire, scientific journal article.

Jana said...

I didn't know you homeschooled. My sister just started homeschooling her 2nd grader this year. It has been great! I loved your new way of remember the planets! What's up with Pluto???

Rachel and Jacob said...

yeah , when I was teaching two years ago at CCS we had the whole No more PLuto thing! so fun!!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

happy Mother's Day Sara!!!! :)
enjoy!

4kids&luvit said...

Nachos...That's funny and quite creative! And now of course you have convinced me to buy the geography CDs- are you making comission?

Sue said...

Yes, Sara, we heard about Pluto a long time ago at a time when Johnny was obsessed with planets. You can see a video of him telling us about the dwarf planet on my blogspot. Of course, we do have a professor of astronomy in our church which helps keep us up on this stuff.

And, great minds think alike! When I got to your now ruined acronym I paused and thought of how you could replace it - nachos came to my mind instantly :).

Carroll said...

I've never heard the pizza thing (well...nacho thing now). That really would have helped in science class!