Saturday, April 12, 2008

How to Fit Painting into a Busy Schedule

First, make sure all emails are answered and blog comments checked. This is a never ending job, so sometimes you just have to turn off the computer!

Another never ending job- laundry. So there is a basket folded, an accomplishment!! Forget about the piles in the bedroom for now.

Oops- we did say this was an unending job- when the washer stops, make sure to transfer the wet clothes to the dryer (or you will forget and leave the clothes so long that you will have to wash them again, and this is a big pain)

Take a quick look around and make sure that things are tidied up a bit....(a bit is a very broad term)

Don't worry about a little clutter, that is to be expected and can, in fact aid in the inspiration process (at times..... because at other times the clutter can REALLY get on your nerves)

Finally! Go and take the wrappers off of the canvas. The inspiration is flowing, The kids are down for naps, the email is checked (should I check again...there might be something important...NO, do not be fooled into checking the computer- now is the time to paint!), the laundry is done (Oh wait- did I just hear the dryer buzz??)
OH DEAR! The kids get up from their naps at 3:00. Make sure that you get your priorities straight tomorrow and start nap time off with email already checked and laundry done....no don't laugh, this is possible if you start the night before....

Quick, put some supper on to start cooking, that way when you get the kids occupied with their snacks, maybe, just maybe you can paint on those nice white canvases.



OK, snack is all ready. This is an important one. Because when you ignore the kids and just go on painting, this is liable to add more stress than you thought possible, and will make anymore painting impossible.

Alright, kids are occupied, supper is cooking, laundry is....waiting, email is piling up, the phone is ringing, the floor looks dirty, but all of this pales in comparison with the waiting canvas. The paint and inspiration are flowing. The colors, the verse, it is all taking you to a happy place. Just be sure to listen to the children and don't let supper burn.

Just one more minute! I have the perfect colors mixed! I can't leave the palette until I complete just one more thing....

But wait! These colors just might remind you of the inspiration board that you have been wanting to put up on the pantry doors....so while the kids are still occupied?? (they are quiet anyway) you can do a few things at once, so by all means, go ahead and spread out a few more craft supplies on the kitchen counters....

Start taping and arranging, this will take you to another happy place and you will have hundreds of ideas for painting this and that....uh oh- the kids are calling and the supper needs to be fixed and you probably didn't even finish the painting that has been started, Oh and the kitchen is a complete wreck.....

This is all OK, because you have effectively fit the painting into a busy schedule. You have not completed the painting...but you have painted, that is the main point, and as a bonus you have not burned the house down, and the kids are still alive! A very productive day.

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ha! I can totally relate to this! You have described my life, except I am not yet to the point where I am even brave enough to attempt to paint. I stick with simpler, less messy hobbies, like reading a book for now, or working on my coupon/grocery plan for the week. One of these days I am determined to add something creative, though, no matter how much juggling it requires. Good for you!

Jenn Basham said...

Hey, I think that verse you are painting looks familiar :-D

Monica said...

Wow! If I try to do anything else while cooking I invariably ALWAYS burn it! (A very special talent I inherited from my mother.) And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who forgets about clothes in the washing machine for a day, or two.

Morning Rose said...

Great post! Sounds like my day, but without the painting.

WendyJanelle said...

Hahaha!! I can also relate!
And, by the way, your house is VERY tidy! Messy floor? Psha! It all looks super clean to me!

gailsgarden said...

Okay, Sar! It is obvious that I should move close to you. I could take the kids for a WHOLE DAY of fun with Grampa and Gramma and you could paint to your heart's delight. It is a good thought! It sounds like a WIN WIN situation all the way around...except what would Dave say? And what about.....

Sarah said...

I loved this. Glad that I am not the only one who is easily distracted and at the end of the day, say that I have at least kept my children alive!

Rachel and Jacob said...

youre so funny!

hazel said...

Yes, this is my life too! Painting with Ellie up, usually only occurs during a really good episode of Spongebob. I usually wake at 3, dinner is ready when smoke alarm goes off for 3rd time, cleaning gets done when hubbie calls to say he's headed home. Lucky me, Today I get to add Prepare AND File TAXES to the mix!
Where are those receipts?...

lola said...

muy bonito tu blog,visita mi blog,gracias

Pam said...

I LOVED this post! I could do one just like it, except for baking.

How a mother with preschoolers makes a pound cake: Put butter into mixer, change a diaper, wash hands, put three cups of sugar in mixer (counting out loud so I don't lose my place), wipe a nose, wash hands, turn on mixer to cream the first two ingredients, crack six eggs into a bowl (at least I can count the yolks!), help a child with a puzzle piece that won't cooperate, wash hands, add eggs, wash hands...

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

do i hear you loud & clear or what! i can SO relate!
the balance of it all... it is nuts! :)
big hugs to you & big hopes you can carve out some time for yourself & paint!

4kids&luvit said...

I love all the pics of rooms in your house. It's neat AND colorful! I, too, leave laundry in the washer too long on most days. I'm afraid that the water restrictions may have been my fault:) Washing the same load several times can do that!