Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hmmmm, Well What Do You Think?


This was my lamp in our bedroom. It has seen better days, and was from a time when we first got married and had everything blue.

here is a new white lampshade from Target (where else?)


Here is the new look. Spray painted base, new shade, some scraps of material for a patchwork look.

light on


light off

Dave sees this for the first time and can't help but laugh. He thinks it looks a little "un-done". I think what he said was that it looked like something he could actually do (in all of his un-craftiness). This coming from my usually very supportive husband. But this does tell me he is honest and not just complimenting everything even if he doesn't like it.

I did think about adding more patches, but kind of liked this look- opinions anyone? Who's team are you on- Dave's or Sara's??? This is a loaded question.......maybe I should take a poll so your opinions could be anonymous!

14 comments:

gailsgarden said...

Oh, oh! This could get a person in trouble. But the truth is, I like it. It is a vast improvement over the original! I especially like the first pic when you can see two sides of the shade!

S&s said...

oh dear. . .guess I have to be on both teams to be safe, huh?!

I like the lampshade. I also like the zebra print lying underneath the lampshade;)

rabryan said...

weeeelllllll......
I'm not totally sure what Dave meant by "undone", but it doesn't have your usual look. Maybe my eyes are looking for your usual borders along the sides; your work doesn't usually leave white space showing. That doesn't really help much, does it? I like your color choices!

Jenn Basham said...

I actually really like it Sara. I think you did a great job!! You are very creative. WOW!
Jenn

The Younges said...

NICE!! It sure looks more like you this way than the way it was. I think I will be difficult and say I would like it with more fabric..... just my opinion:)Praying for you!!!!

Jeremy and Amy said...

I love it! Very cute, Sara!

4kids&luvit said...

I LOVE it! I really like the artwork behind it, too. Did you use spray adhesive, or what? I like the book on your nightstand too:)What would Dave think if you had painted the shade a solid color first (like the lime green) and THEN done the scraps? Is it even possible to paint fabric shades? I'm so un-artsy...

Candace said...

I love it!! I think I'd keep going with it, but without covering up a lot of the white space. I like the look of the white space. Maybe add a border along the bottom edge of the shade. Either a fabric border or even some funky beaded trim. Now that would be too cute!

Great job Sara!!

Morning Rose said...

I like it, especially with the light on.

Sue said...

Okay, I'm totally out of my realm here. I like it much better - it looks more your style now. After reading all the others, I would venture to say that I agree that it just needs a little something more finishing to be completely you. Some sort of border is a good idea.

Sarah said...

It's much better than the original. I like it, but don't think it looks finished. Howabout a piece of green pom pom trimmy stuff at the bottom? Do you know what I mean? I think that would be very you.

Sarah said...

I do not know Dave, so I totally going to go with you and not feel any fear of him not liking me. :-) (I am sure you WOULD like me though, Dave--in spite of our disagreement....)
I am all about simplicity, so I really like this shade. But I am also one of the most unartistic people ever, so anything handmade looks good to me! :-)

Stephanie said...

I am with the trim people--it needs some spunky trim, maybe both top and bottom?

mrs.pabody said...

I think it needs a bit more....
Oh my.
You should have made an anonymous poll!