Friday, March 14, 2008

The New Couch(es)?


I have earned over $200 (so far) towards a new couch. But I have been thinking....

See we got our couch for free from Gigi and Pops. We paid about $200 to get a slipcover made (rather each piece has a slipcover, so it looks like regular
upholstery). I love this couch. It is so comfy. We have had it since our oldest was a baby. I have tons of pictures taken on this couch with our babies. I slept on this couch when I was too pregnant to sleep on our hard bed. So, to be honest, I don't want to give it up! (really it's just the slipcover that is fraying and shabby looking)

I am thinking of getting another custom slip cover made. This way I could pick different material for each cushion.


And then there's our second couch we got from the Salvation Army for $50. It has a wooden base and two large cushions that we just have covered with a quilt right now. Maybe we could get these cushions covered to match the other couch, and I could paint the base of the couch to match.

here are some upholstery fabric samples....

FUNKY BLACK....


OR MAYBE REDS....





Animal Prints??




So many choices! It would be nice not to have to move the couches, but just put on new slipcovers. And cheaper too. I will keep you posted. What pattern(s) would you choose?

11 comments:

Morning Rose said...

I like the polka dots!

rabryan said...

the second black choice seems to match the mood of your living room...but knowing you, you could make any of them work!

Sarah said...

I think recovering is a great idea if your couches are still comfortable and in good structural shape. I like the reds and the polka dots the best. They feel the warmest and most cozy to me. I'm sure you will make whatever you pick look fabulous.

Jennifer said...

i like the reds

The Younges said...

the reds!!! I love red:)

Sarah said...

I love the 4th red print (from the top) and the funky dot print. Where do you get the slipcovers made? I would love to do that but thought it would be as expensive as a couch--what do they run?
And if a couch is comfy, by all means DO NOT give it up! :-)

gailsgarden said...

I like the idea of different prints in reds and greens. You know me! I don't like drastic changes!!! I am wondering if you will find anyone to do such a good job at such a great price unless you go back to the same lady.

Donette said...

I'm loving the 2 black choices. Although, thinking as a mom of toddlers, would black show every smudge?

knackstudio said...

You go girl!!! You are on your way!! I'm going to be the bum sister in law and give you boring designer advice:) I'm with your mom on the cost of reupholstering, you may end up paying more than you would for a new couch by the time you pay for your fabric and labor. BUT..... then again maybe not. I would say spend the money on a great new neutral couch with a classic shape and put as many funky pillows on it as you want!! Use all the fabrics you have listed:) That way you have a basic piece that you can make funky and when you get sick of certain colors or design elements it's an easy change! I know.......boo on me!!:) Love you!!

mrs.pabody said...

I like your recovering idea, but knackstudio DOES have a $ point.... but if you recover, I just LOVE the red toile and maybe a red plaid to go with?
And I love the black/white, but I would never be brave enough. You could do it!

WendyJanelle said...

I like both blacks, and the first and fourth reds the best!! How fun!!