Friday, February 22, 2008

A House is made.....

Just because I have known her from childhood is no reason that I have chosen Ann's quote! You can see that I even passed over my own Mom and Dad (even though they did have very fine quotes). Honestly, you all had such good ideas! Thanks to everyone. It was very fun to come to the computer and find a new quote from a friend. So here it is:

Thanks Ann! I will email you and get all your info. (I did some research and found that the author is unknown.)

Another good friend, Rachel, was asking if I had used some papers and gluing for these paintings. So I will gladly explain the decoupage process that I use. I have no idea what it correct, but I will share my way :) My love of decoupage all started with the coffee table. I got it from Goodwill, painted on some squares and thought it needed something more. So I cut up my scrapbook paper and glued on the squares, after they dried, I painted the whole table with multiple layers of Mod Podge. That is pretty much it!




So, after trying it on the table, I had so much fun that I wanted to try it on canvas. I started experimenting with paper and glue and paint. I found that the thinner the paper the better (maybe that's why they have special decoupage paper in the stores :). You know Eric Carle (author of the Very Hungry Caterpillar) This is what he does, he takes tissue paper, paints it, and then glues it on.


Then I realized that I could probably not use scrapbook paper and then make prints and sell it, because of copyright laws. So I have started painting my own patterned paper (I have just been painting regular typing paper), cutting it, gluing it on with the Mod Podge, waiting for it to dry, and painting on more layers of the Mod Podge. It is really fun and easy. I think you will like it, Rachel. Please let us know how it turns out! I think you could decoupage onto almost anything, and I think your origami papers would work beautifully.

7 comments:

Monica said...

Since you're answering art questions and posted a pic with acrylic paint...do you prefer acrylics over oils?

Sarah said...

I love them!

I've been thinking about trying to mod podge a toy box for Gracie's room. My only experience to date is doing 10 bird houses for centerpieces for MOPS. I wasn't very good at it...seeing your coffee table meakes me want to give it another go!

Morning Rose said...

That quote is perfect for your painting! I love your coffee table too. :)

WendyJanelle said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this site! Oh, how it makes me miss my art classes in college!! Wow. You have totally inspired me!!! Thank you. :-)

Pam said...

That IS a good quote--just perfect!

Rachel and Jacob said...

Oooo thank you! what a wonderful post!! I bought some modpodge!! I saw it and thought I would give it a try! I think I will start with a small project! I bought a little tray that I want to make up and say "tea and treats" or something like that...for snack times :) hehehe

Bethany said...

Sara - I love the 'Welcome' one and the 'Ornaments of a home'. Always enjoy viewing your creations!