Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Artist Interview: Miki Wyatt, seamstress


I am excited to introduce you today to Dave's Grandma, Miki Wyatt! She sews the most beautiful things, and is always learning something new- at the age of 82! (I did mean for that to rhyme). Thanks Gigi for letting me interview you and take pictures in your house! I know everyone will enjoy hearing your answers!

Sara: When did you start sewing?

Gigi: I had a sewing class in Jr. High to make an apron - I don't remember finishing it, I think I never finished it, and flunked. I remember trying to use my Mother's treddle machine (it was in my bedroom, my Mother never used it). The few things I tried to sew were a mess. When I had my first baby Gini (Dave's Mom) I bought a sewing machine & got ten free sewing lessons and learned to read a pattern and sew. After that I learned as I went by making her little dresses.


Sara: What is your favorite thing to sew?


Gigi: I love to make fancy dresses that are different from anyone else's.

Sara: Where do you shop for fabric?

Gigi: Fabric stores are getting scarce, many are closing. Recently I found a neat little shop in a store that sells vacuum cleaners- half of the sore is for selling vacuum cleaners, and the other half sells sewing machines, notions, and material. They also give lessons on quilting & machine embroidery & making pocketbooks & jackets in a whole new way of cutting and sewing.

Sara: What are your favorite colors?

Gigi: I love bright colors. The brighter the better. But I love all colors. I have a terrible time when making something to decide on the color- so often I end up making 3 or 4 of the same thing in 3 different colors Sara: What do you do to relax (or do you relax? Seems to me you are always busy!)

Gigi: Sewing is relaxing, but since I retired from nursing I have time to read and study the Bible. I love books about the Bible and missionary stories. I usually get so relaxed I have to fall asleep and have to take a half hour nap so I can finish reading.

Sara: What is something that you have always wanted to learn?

Gigi: I would love to learn to use the embroidery part of my sewing machine, but when you get my age, you learn that some things are just not going to get done.
Here is a little duck that Gigi made out of shells

Sara: What is your favorite tool to use for sewing?

Gigi: In learning to make pocketbooks there is a whole new way of cutting and sewing. You use a special cutting board and plastic rulers and rotary cutters.

Sara: What has been your favorite class that you have taken relating to your craft?

Gigi: I've only had 3 sewing classes, the one with my first sewing machine, and then for making pocketbooks, and now for making jackets. I guess I've learned by trial and error- mostly error. But I'm thankful I learned to knit as a child and I've learned to crochet. But I'm sorry I never learned to tat. My Mother could tat, but I think some of these things will soon be a lost art.


Sara: What would your dream vacation be?

Gigi: My dream vacation would be to see Venice and Australia.

Sara: Anything else you want to say?

Gigi: I need to find a ministry of some kind. I feel like I am wasting precious time. At least when I was nursing I could help and encourage and many times witness. I would love to work with children's ministries or drug addicts rehab in some way. Even only one day a week- or even if they get the new hospital built here, I can volunteer there.
Here you can see the patchwork that she did by ironing on the adhesive and then sticking the squares all over. SO INSPIRING!!!!! BEAUTIFUL! This is the jacket she is working on.


diaper bag made by Gigi


My Christmas gift from Gigi

Love the black and white! One of Gigi's latest creations

All of us with our purses at Christmas. She also made that outfit she was wearing. L-R, Aunt Debbie, Me, Barb, Gigi, Mom Mincy, cousin Kristin.

THANK YOU, Gigi!!!!! You are an inspiration and you make our lives more beautiful!

7 comments:

S&s said...

thanks for doing the interview on Grandma. Love that lady;)

mitchells2000 said...

I don't know if Gigi has an opportunity to do something like this... but I thought maybe you could pass the info along. A friend of mine that lives in SC makes outfits for preemie babies in the NICU (neo-natal intensive care unit) at a hospital near her. She just uses scraps from her sewing projects. The outfits are a big hit, and it's her ministry to the families of those babies. Just an idea...

Morning Rose said...

She is a talented and inspiring lady! Thanks for sharing.

Victorious1 said...

I want one of every one of those bags!

They're fabulous - you tell her that - ok?

WendyJanelle said...

I especially love the hoops of bright fabrics and the black and white bag. Beautiful!!

You've hooked me to your site. I looove crafty ideas & vibrant colors. :-)

Rachel and Jacob said...

what a good read :)

Pop Pop & Granna said...

Sara,

That was so sweet. She IS so creative -- through the years I've seen her make so many beautiful things. I remember her making a beautiful cranberry colored slipcover for our sofa when I was a teenager -- amazing -- it looked so professional. She also made drapes to match. Somehow all her talent passed me by and went to myt daughters -- thanks for featuring her!