Monday, January 14, 2008

A Piece of Childhood (or...how many times can I type the word "little" in one paragraph...)



Lately, if the kids are getting rowdy, I take them all into the baby's room and pull out the Fisher Price Little People toys. We have the old, retro stuff from when I was little, and all of the new stuff too; zoo, barn, house, town. I love this little house. It brings back so many memories of happy play. Each little piece has been through so much in it's little 35plus years of life (I am only 32, but my parents got the stuff when Andy was little). There are teeth marks on some of the people and some are even made of wood. I am sure I could cash it in on eBay- but I will not! This was my first house to decorate :) Thanks, Mom & Dad for not throwing it away!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I had that too, but mine is long gone. I wish my mom had held onto things...makes me hesitate whenever I get rid of outgrown toys. It's so hard to know what will be looked back on with such fondness.

Jennifer said...

I had that! You are right...it's probably worth some money!

tacky said...

We had the same little house and I have no idea where it ended up! I am kicking myself right now, because I saw one last summer at a thrift store...after several weeks it was still there...I kept debating...It is still there or someone else got it! It would look cute on a shelf!!! Just to remember the hours we played with it. My kids still play with all their FP stuff...I don't know if I will be able to let it go! On to storage solutions!

Morning Rose said...

We played with Little People when we were young too. We had Main Street, the airport, and the garage. My boys have the newer garage, but I like the old one better. :)

Sarah: said...

We have several of the new LP sets, but they are just not the same as the old stuff. Good for your mom for hanging on to it--she was wise beyond her time! :-)

Sue said...

I had that little playhouse when it came out! Ouch, and I was old enough to REMEMBER it. Love it - the memories are streaming back.

gailsgarden said...

The garage was Andy's, the house was yours!

Candace said...

Oh that brings back such wonderful memories - I loved my People's house! I hope your kiddos enjoy it as much as we all did when we were little. :)

Pam said...

I used to have that house too. As the oldest of five, the toys I played with got passed to the younger ones, so I am not sure what happened to it. My youngest sister was still able to play with it when I went to college. I loved it, though.