Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Artist Interview: Barb Blair, Knack Studios (part 2- the studio)


Christmas ornaments that Barb made out of salvage materials


angels



Barb in her studio


Sara: Favorite color combo, or colors to work with?

Barb: Oh my!! How to narrow it down......I guess I would have to say I love to paint turquoise pieces and put red knobs on them.....I love mustards, browns ,grays, light blue is good anywhere!! Light blue, orange, and brown is a great combo, I could go on and on!!:)

S: What or who inspires you?

B: Nature inspires me. The colors I see every day and the combos that are already made for me, by the master artist! I also say that I have a very creative husband, whose love amazes me and has freed me to be whatever I want to be. His support alone could keep me going forever!!:)

If you could learn from, or work with one person, who would it be?

B: There are so many people that I would love to glean from, but I would love to work with the Anthropologie buyer! He is amazing and I have read several articles on him. Would love to do a Europe tour/buying trip with him!:)

Ideal studio?

B: The one I have:)

What is your favorite part of your creative processes?

B: Finding the pieces, carpentry :), painting, distressing, etc...? I guess you could say, that I enjoy the hunt, but even more so I enjoy the "breathing new life" into something that has been lost. I love dreaming up these new looks for pieces and then actually seeing them happen!! Good Stuff!!

S: How have you seen your work evolve- what has been the biggest influence in this
change...(your tools in the garage???). You can tell I am impressed with your power
tools!

B: I would have to say that the power tools are key to what I do!! The better tools I have the more effective I am in my work and I don't have to pay a carpenter to get things done!! Another thing that has changed or helped me is.... I think I have subscriptions to just about every home magazine there is!!! We go to Barnes and Noble at least once a week too , to look at magazines and draw inspiration from lots of different sources:) That alone has helped me hone in on what exact looks I like, and how to achieve that.


Anything else you want to say about your work, Knack studios, .....?

B: I'm just so excited to see what the next year holds and am so thankful that God is allowing me to live out something I have dreamed about for a while now:)
But wait....there's more! Tomorrow will be her house pictures (that she didn't even know that I took)

3 comments:

Pop Pop & Granna said...

Great pictures!

Candace said...

What a treat Sara - I can't wait to see pictures of Barb's house! And oh I just LOVE her studio and her creations. :)

Sara Mincy said...

Oh how fun! I would love to visit that place! The little Christmas tree is SO cute and so are the jars full of stuff. I wonder what is in each one.

Sara's Mom