Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Two Pumpkins


My Mom is very creative and crafty. She can sew, paint, cross-stitch, cook, bake, decorate...etc. Her latest craft is to hook rugs. Rug hooking is very big in her area and really is a neat form of art. She gets wool from thrift stores. This can be from scrap material, or articles of clothing. Then she cuts the wool into little strips and pokes them through a piece of burlap. She has already done several of her own designs and this one here you can see is inspired by my pumpkin painting. She is also working on a rug to go in my entryway....it will have colorful squares all over it- I cannot wait- it looks like it will be beautiful.
Here she is, working on "the squares" rug.

4 comments:

Morning Rose said...

How fun! I used to hook rugs when I was young with the pattern, special hook, and cut-up yarn that came in a kit.

Pam said...

Ya'll are just too much! You are creative, and your creative mom is inspired by you! I love it!!!

Donette said...

Hi Sara! I don't know if you remember me from college - I was Donette Winterland back then. I found your blog a few months back through the many friends who were linked to you. I really like your artwork!

I had to comment on this post because I have a funny story to share. My hubby was interviewing a lady for an office position and he asked her what she did for fun. She answered, "I'm a hooker." Poor Dan's face turned a hundred shades of red and he didn't know what to say! Then she elaborated that she hooked rugs. By then it was too late. The interview kinda went downhill from there.

I hope your mom never describes herself that way!

Have a great day!

gailsgarden said...

I am very careful to say that I am a "rug hooker!"

Sara's MOM