Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Watermelon Patch

My very loyal and encouraging husband let me open up a little shop, even when we had absolutely no money to put into it. It was about 7 years ago, and it was a complete disaster, financially anyway! I had no idea how to market or advertise. I would get about one customer a day (who usually didn't buy anything!). But it was very fun. I always tell Dave that he showed his true love for me when he "risked it all" for my little idea. I had a ton of stuff left after we sold the shop, and eventually sold most of it at a yard sale.

6 comments:

Dramagirl said...

I remember visiting you when you had just rented the building. We thought it was such a neat idea. Now you don't have to rent a building, and you can still sell your art! Yeah! Love ya! Kristy

S&s said...

I think it was the location....because it definitely was not the merchandise!! I'm looking forward to seeing your on-line business become a huge success!!!

Fifi said...

I love your "Trendy Cottage" Style! And that's what I would name it by! I agree ..... that you definately have the talent.... you just need to find an innovative way to break into the market!
All the best dear friend...... remember Henry Ford(and numerous others) failed many times before they succeeded!
Love to you
Fifi

gailsgarden said...

That was SOME ADVENTURE!!! You HAD to TRY! I didn't remember the checkered floor, just like my kitchen floor. Was that there, or did you paint it? No wonder you encouraged me to paint mine!

G-Knee said...

This is what I remember hearing you doing...I didn't know that you had opened your own shop...I thought you were working for Pottery Barn kids...here you were...doing your own thing. Small business is extremely difficult...having a boyfriend who is part owner in one...I know your pains.

Pam said...

I feel your pain...how many failed attempts at home business do I have? My David always stood by me no matter what crazy idea I had too.