Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Great Book...


I have read this book some years ago, but have picked it up again because our book club is reading it together. I LOVE it! Elizabeth George is a great author, and has a way of applying the scripture to our lives in a very simple way. This book deals with our thought life and how we need to think on what is true,noble,just,pure, lovely, & a good report (Philippians 4:8). If we think on those things- that would change our lives!!!!
The chapter I am currently reading deals with worry....Do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself....Matt 6:34. In this chapter, the author talks about how she gets so worried about getting things done, that it would overwhelm her. Her example was about when she was trying to wallpaper a room, and did not have enough time to get it all done. Her husband told her that they needed to do it like you would eat an elephant...one bite at a time. This has helped me so much!!!
I have so many paintings that I need to do, or just want to do...that some evenings when I have a little time, I feel so overwhelmed, that I can't even get my paints out. So, last night I determined that I only had to finish ONE painting that I had started. This made the process so much easier...and FUN! I was so inspired that I started another and finished more than I thought I could in that amount of time.
Of course this book and Philippians 4:8 deals with much greater issues in my life, but I am grateful for this small victory...and many more days of just thinking about today and not worrying about tomorrow and all of the work and troubles that it may hold!

2 comments:

Dramagirl said...

Excellent thoughts! My mom always would tell me the elephant quote as well. Now I tell my students, and many of them remember! I am overwhelmed with school right now, so your words have been an encouragement. I'm going to bed now. Tomorrow will take care of itself!! Love ya!

Steph said...

I love this book! I read it up at Maranatha during a really tough time and it was such a blessing.